Heads up the following Banana Bread recipe is VEGAN! But I am not…I promise you that this is the holy grail of banana bread recipes. Give it a chance, because I have made it three times in the last ten days and it’s never lasted more than four hours on the counter without being completely devoured. If that doesn’t sell you on it than I don’t know what will!
I came across the recipe on one of my new favorite blogs after some failed banana bread attempts. My go to recipes of the past were coming out airy and didn’t satisfy the banana ratio that I was looking for (I want a banana bread that comes out tasting like a bunch of bananas smushed in a bread pan…). The original recipe is vegan and gluten free, but I made it using the all-purpose flour substitution and it came out great.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 58 min
Total Time: 1 hr 8 min
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup apple sauce warmed and mixed with 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup coconut oil
Optional: chocolate chips, walnuts, peanutbutter chips
*Check original recipe for gluten free substitutes 🙂
- Prep by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and spraying down a 9″x5″ loaf pan. I put some parchment paper on the bottom of the pan to make it easy to pull out after baking, also makes for a quick clean up.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Mash bananas with melted coconut oil to ensure the best combination.
- Add remaining wet ingredients with the banana combination.
- Mix wet ingredients with the dry using a spatula. Mix just until combined!
- Add optional ingredients if desired.
- Pour batter into the pan and place in the oven for about 55-60 min.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a cooling rack before eating!